IT'S BACK TO SCHOOL Time...and back to coughs and colds
As you pack your children off for another year of A-B-Cs and 1-2-3s (times pi or the square root of 4), somewhere in the back of your mind lurks the knowledge that it won't be long before they come home with a bug or virus that will have every member of your family flat on their back.
Prevention is the best medicine, but you can't avoid coughs or colds entirely. These suggestions can help minimize the duration of your family's convalescence.
Ensure your child is drinking enough pure water every day " juice or milk does not count! Divide your child's weight by half and that is how many fluid ounces of water they should consume daily. More if they are ill or have been exercising a lot.
Make sure your child gets plenty of rest.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating well will provide your child with the nutrients needed to fight bacteria and viruses. Lunches of chicken soup, vegetable broths and freshly-pressed vegetable juice provide nourishment and hydration.
Be extra diligent when it comes to hand washing and have each family member use his or her own towel.
# Before you hug them good-bye, take 5 deep breaths with them. Oxygen will boost their immune system.
To Ease Coughs and Sore Throats:
In 1 cup of boiling water, add 1 heaping tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of freshly-squeezed lemon juice. Stir well and wait until it is cool enough to drink. Sprinkling in some cayenne pepper is also beneficial for the throat and nasal passages, but may be too strong for a child. Use to their taste.
To Relieve Sinus Congestion or Infection:
Avoid dairy products and foods high in sugar (this includes fruit juice). Sugar suppresses the immune system and dairy promotes mucous production. Steam inhalation is important for draining the sinuses and providing pain relief, and adding eucalyptus or rosemary oil will enhance healing " but first read the label or discuss with your Living Well pharmacist what quantity is appropriate for your child's age group.
Sign up for our Newsletter
Top 10 Sellers
- 1. Isopto Tears 0.5% Ophthalmic Solution
- 2. Reactine® Allergy & Sinus Non-Drowsy - 30 Tablets
- 3. Bentasil Eucalyptus Sucrose-Free Cough and Throat Lozenges - 20 Soft Lozenges
- 4. Blistex® Ultra Protection Stick - SPF30 - 4.25g
- 5. Redoxon-B® Vitamin B Complex Effervescent Tablets - Orange - 10 tablets
- 6. Pico-Salax® Oral Purgative Orange Powder - 2 Sachets
- 7. DentureBrite™ Extra Strength Cleanser - 200g
- 8. Polident® Fresh Cleanse Foaming Cleanser - Mint Fresh - 125ml
- 9. Bentasil Honey-Lemon Sucrose-Free Lozenges - 20 Soft Lozenges
- 10. Allenburys Basic Soap For Sensitive Skin - 1 Bar - 100g